Instructions for Multipurpose Chocolate Mix
Awesomesauce! Freshly baked cakes and cookies have never been easier. 1 pack of this Multipurpose Chocolate Mix can make you a tray of 16 bite-sized brownies, 18 cupcakes, or about 60 bite-sized cookies (with 2 baking styles: macaron-ish or crunchy).
Ingredients needed for 1 pack (270g):
|Brownies (Vegan)||Cake / Cupcakes|
|Oil (olive, coconut, avocado, or melted butter all work as long as you like the taste)||2 Tablespoons /
6 dinner spoons (30g)
1 Tablespoons /
2 dinner spoons (15g)
|Water||1/2 cup (120g)||3/4 cup (180g)|
|Egg / Egg Substitutes||-||2 small eggs /
1.5 large eggs (90g)
|Optional||Toppings (e.g. fruits, nuts, chocolate chips, sea salt flakes)||1 - 2 Tablespoons sugar|
|Cookies (Vegan)||1 pack (270g)||1/3 pack (90g)|
3/8 cup /
6 Tablespoons (90g)
|2 Tablespoons (30g)|
For cookies, the ratio of water to baking mix (by weight) is 1:3. When in doubt, add less water than required. If you add more water than needed, your cookies may have a cake-like texture.
- 1 bowl + 1 spoon (you can use the same dinner spoon for measuring oil)
- Grease for the pan / tray, or line with baking paper (greaseproof / parchment)
- Brownies: baking pan about 7 inch or 8 inch square
- Cake: round baking pan about 6 inch diameter
- Cupcakes: muffin pans
- Cookies: baking tray
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
If you can choose settings for your oven function, turn to the convectional with fan / fan oven setting:
- Grease or line your baking pan / tray (we use pegs to hold the paper in place before baking 😝)
- In a bowl, add all the wet ingredients (oil, water, and egg if needed)
- Add the entire pack of baking mix into the bowl. Add sugar or other toppings if desired.
- Stir well (about 20 seconds)
For brownies, cakes and cupcakes, pour into pan (remove the pegs, if any :)) and add toppings if desired
For cookies, spoon batter onto baking tray approximately 3cm in diameter. Don't worry about being messy. We simply scoop the batter with a spoon and push little blops down with our fingers. ;)
Pictured below is the amount we make using 1/3 of a pack.
- Approximate baking times for Oven:
- Brownies: 22 - 24 minutes
- 6" Cake: 24 - 26 minutes (poke with toothpick to check for doneness)
- Cupcakes: 18 - 20 minutes
- Cookies (Crispy shell with chewy center): 14 - 15 minutes @180°C
- Cookies (Crunchy): 18 - 20 minutes @160°C - leave to cool in oven to bake through fully
- Cool slightly before removing from pan or tray.
For brownies and cakes, it's best to cool completely or chill before slicing or consuming.
For cookies, keep them in air tight containers once they're cool enough to touch (still slightly warm).
*Ideas for Variation:
- Replace water with fruit juice or even beer—Guinness Stout, anyone? (step 3)
- Give a light sprinkle of sea salt flakes on top just before baking (step 6)
- After baking, drizzle on some melted chocolate or even frost it like a cake
- For vegan cakes, use egg substitutes. (In our tests, flax eggs do make our cakes taste of flaxseeds.)
We'd love to see your creations! Show and tell with #bakeningstudio and get a $5 discount code if we feature you ♥